Tuesday, January 26, 2010

on prayer

Talking to God is a tricky endeavor for me. Often, I don't know how I'm supposed to feel when I make requests or attempt to praise the Lord. Ideally, I would be completely into whatever I was saying, but as it plays out, my feelings are often different than what I know to be true.

So, if I'm praising God in prayer, my feelings can go anywhere from a full on pouring out of my heart to merely acknowledging God's attributes. Telling God that I love Him often spans the gap from bringing me to the point of tears, to professing what I know He deserves, yet feeling none of the emotions that I would like to accompany it. What does the Lord require in prayer?

The Jewish leaders in Jesus' time prayed at length, and said all the things they were supposed to say, but their hearts weren't in it, and Jesus rebuked them. What makes my prayer any different, even if I wish my heart were in it? It seems very arrogant to approach God without some sort of praise, if only to put myself in proper perspective. And to talk to God without asking His blessings is like saying I don't need anything, which couldn't be further from the truth. In retrospect, I always feel like a spoiled brat, not appreciating what God has given me and still asking for more.

Consistently, the only prayer I can  pray with my whole heart, is found in Luke 18:13. "God have mercy on me, a sinner." Jesus said this is good. Until God shows me the next step, I'll just keep on asking for more mercy, because the Lord know's I need it.

Listen to Your Love is Strong by Jon Foreman

3 comments:

kessia reyne said...

Wait.

I could have been reading MattTurk-thoughts all this time? I feel cheated. I feel gypped. I feel short-changed. I feel . . . lucky to have found it now.

As to this post, I completely get it. For almost three years I've been saying, "Lord, teach me to pray." (Luke 11:1) And He has been, but I'm a slow learner.

Nicholas said...

I get it too! How the Heck do i make prayers genuine?! I still don't know but i'm working on it

Ludine Pierre said...

I agree with the aboves.
Still working on it...

great song indeed, great song.