Thursday, September 03, 2009

The Traveling Minister

There's a little bakery a few block from my apartment in Tacoma called Corina Bakery. It has a modest exterior, with a big window and church benches and long tables for dining. The WiFi and cranberry orange scone is what attracted me here today.
I've been sitting here for quite a while. The to do list included applying for jobs, catching up on email and other social devices, and reading the news. Nothing too crazy. Someone sent me a link for a "flash mob" in downtown Seattle that was pretty entertaining. All together a really relaxed afternoon.
A few minutes ago, an older gentleman in a bright green fleece, hunter green pants, and a red Tacoma Rainiers cap came and sat next to me. Not being the introverted type, it didn't take him long to tell me hi, with a big smile, and begin to tell me about his soup. Apparently its much hotter in the plastic cup than in a ceramic bowl. It needed to be eaten before the Mariner's game at 3:30.
Our conversation was intermittent. A couple of dogs (and their owners) came in, which immediately grabbed his attention. There was a little boy with a big white bear behind us, and he would turn around and comment on it every few minutes.
When we were talking, I found out that he was a traveling minister. He worked at the local Education Opportunity Center to fund his ministry. "Could you help me with the wrapper?" That part of conversation was over. The scone was wrapped too well for his trembling hands to manage. It was almost wrapped too well for me to get though. I managed though, he offered me half, I declined.
Almost immediately he turned back toward the boy and started singing to him "Praise Jesus, He loved the little indian boy...". He questions more about the boy, and his parents said they didn't know if he would be an evangelist, and yes, he does have beautiful eyes.
"Well, I've gotta get home to watch the Mariners game. Yippi Yai!" Was his farewell bid. He wished me well. He gave the dogs another scratch and then he was gone.
 Life seems to go a bit slower in little cafe's. Maybe that's the appeal. Cities are cool, and the hustle of activity has it's appeal, but life is all about the details. The traveling minister, the future evangelists, the community here at the Corina Bakery.

No comments: